- Company presentation :
Our partner is a fast growing profit-for-purpose start-up based in Cape Town. Their mission is to improve the access to affordable products and services in townships and rural areas. Their objective is to modernize the retail sector in these areas.
They developed two mobile applications:
- The first one enables informal grocery stores to compare wholesalers’ prices in their area, order their stock at the best price directly from their phone, and get it delivered to their doorstep within a few hours. Using their app, informal traders can save up to 10% on the cost of their stock and their customers can access a wider range of products at more affordable prices.
- The second is a Business-to-Consumer app that enables supermarkets and retailers to sell groceries online to low-income consumers. We brand it specifically for each supermarket.
Linked to these apps, they manage social media accounts (Facebook, WhatsApp, TikTok) that unite a community of over 6000 informal traders and that they use to develop digital marketing campaigns for companies interested in selling to this market. They also help companies to access these markets by offering them visibility in their apps and access to live, localized and detailed market data collected through the apps. They particularly like to assist manufacturers of social products (solar lights, clean cookstoves, sanitary pads, water filters, fortified food, etc.) to distribute their products where they are most needed.
2. Internship objectives :
They are looking for highly motivated, energetic and organized team members to join their team for an internship. For the next 6 months, they will focus on the following targets:
- Grow their user number from 6000 to 15000 informal traders for the first app and from 100 to 15000 low-income consumers for the B2C app;
- Get 30 wholesalers, 150 retailers and 60 FMCGs brands to use their apps as a marketing tool;
- Add a Fruit & Veg category in their apps;
- Raise 9 million rands in grants, CSI funds or equity to finance their growth plan;
- Improve their mobile application (conducting user tests for feedback) & develop new features;
- Develop market reports from the data we collect through their app;
- Explore new regions to expand their activity.
3. Mission description :
The intern will be working in close contact and under the direct supervision of the general manager on various assignments. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Update their accountancy on Xero software (around 30 minutes/day) – training to Xero will be provided; update their Profit & Loss statement and Cash flow statement weekly (using Xero and Excel);
- Conduct business analysis of the existing activities to identify improvement in their efficiency and profitability; assist our team to develop the financial part (budget, cash flow) of our new services;
- Participate in their fundraising campaign (R9 million or 500k$ by the end of 1st Semester 2021); preparation of the data room; assistance to research and apply to grant funding competitions; preparation of investor notes.
- Assist with the startup administration management: human resource (recruitment, performance assessment), legal (client and supplier contracts, intellectual property), tax, etc.
- Analysis of the BBEEE policy (positive discrimination) in South Africa to optimize their service offering to FMCG companies and attract the funds they must contribute to BBEEE projects;
- The intern will also work with the founder and other team members on other tasks according to the intern’s skills, motivation and aspirations. The intern should truly want to master the startup financial & administration management and will be given opportunities to learn and to become more autonomous, and should be interested in bringing value to the team.
4. Qualifications :
Candidates should combine an analytical and an entrepreneurial spirit and be very resourceful. They should be motivated by a fast-paced start-up environment and flexible in their work arrangements, be ready to take responsibilities and work under tight deadlines, have experience working in teams as well as independently, and show initiative and proactivity. They must be willing to learn and be committed to continuous self-improvement.They should feel comfortable with presenting their work to high executives, as well as organizing workshops with their diverse team members, or interviewing stakeholders “in the field”. They should have a deep commitment to solving social issues and ideally an experience in the emerging world.
More specifically, the intern will demonstrate the following skills:
- Good written and oral communication skills and ideally proficiency in preparing presentations;
- Strong quantitative skills and proficient in Excel;
- Attention to detail, commitment to follow-through and self-organization;
- Excellent interpersonal skills: within a team, as well as with clients and partners;
- Fluency in English – additional local language a plus;
Finally, the successful candidate will ideally have previous work experience in accounting or finance (including internships) in a demanding corporate environment, and some personal involvement in social initiatives.